Following the troubles with getting 917 to turn over on March 4, Poindexter (Matt Elems) and I decided to put the batteries on a charger for a couple of days. I returned two days later on the sixth and found the voltage of the batteries had come up and that the charger was putting out the expected amperage.
Hopeful that I’d finally get the prime mover to turn over I started watering up the locomotive, leaving the charger hooked up as long as possible. While waiting for the cooling system to fill, I opened all the cylinder relief valves and barred the engine over to clear the cylinders.
Eventually the cooling system was filled; at 200 gal, it takes some time. Once the charger was disconnected and all the cords and the hose pulled, I gave it another go. Giving the layshaft a couple of inches I pushed the start…
View original post 1,115 more words